Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Journey Begins

Welcome to my Journey. A journey to lose weight. A journey to find out why I have ALWAYS been overweight. A journey to rediscover who I am, and who I want to become

So last week I joined Weight Watchers. Again. Many years ago I used to go with a friend. We used to go weigh in, and than out to lunch. Needless to say, we eventually stopped weighing in, but still continued going out to lunch! I really had my doubts if fit would work for me, until a really good friend told me if I work it, it will work. So I took the plunge.


I have to say that I was really getting the pressure to lose weight, ever since I started seeing a new doctor last December. My blood pressure was up, my blood sugars were up. Both my parents have high blood pressure, diabetes, and various heart ailments. I know that this is my future, if I continue as always have.

Six years ago, I was probably in the best shape I had been in a long time. I had lost 50 pounds working for Walgreens as an asst. manager. I literally worked my ass off in a years time.Then I was diagnosed with cancer. Rectal cancer. I needed radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery. I was left with a permanent colostomy, and scars like gulleys up and down my abdomen. I made it thru 6 weeks of being bed ridden with infections. The one bright spot in that whole terrible time was that every day I lost 2-3 lbs!. Three weeks after surgery, I had lost 30 lbs!! In my pain killer induced brain, I thought that this was the greatest thing. I was finally down 80 lbs!!! How sick was that?? I was literally wasting away, and I was joyful.

After 8 months of chemo, I was ready to jump start my life. Or so I thought. My husband and I planned a getaway trip to Florida, to savor our victory over cancer, and to just plain relax.
Ahh , the best made plans. My plans for strolls along the beach were dashed when my knees just gave out on me. It was so painful to walk even a few steps. I couldn't even walk across the street to get to the beach! When we returned home, it was off to the doctors. Long story short, my years of being overweight had totally destroyed my cartilage, and I would need to have both knees replaced. So I had two knee surgeries two months apart, with rehab for 4 months. That was the beginning of the end of my 80 lb weight loss.
Me, Christmas 2008

Which brings me back to today, two years later, and my heaviest ever. For the last 6 mos I have been trying (half heartedly, I admit) to lose weight. On my own. Didn't do so well. I'd lose 5 lbs, and then gain it right back. and every time I went to the doctor, she would give me nothing but grief over it. I guess it was nice that she cared, but it just made me feel beaten up. God knows I was beating myself up over my weight, I didn't need the extra help. My husband was on my case everyday to go walking with him at the Y. So I gave in, and went with him. He informed me 16 laps equaled a mile, so why don't I just walk those 16 laps to start off with. HA! I barely made it to 2. So that was the end of that!


I don't know what made me decide to try W.W. again. I figure I have nothing but weight to lose, and everything (my life) to gain. Stay tuned for my next post; I learned some interesting things about myself, a key to my chronic fatness. And, I will reveal how my first week went.
.










No comments:

Post a Comment